Attacking another kingdom affects the relations between the two kingdoms.
By continually attacking, your kingdom's conflict level against the opposing kingdom will elevate, thereby changing the relation type; first from Normal to Unfriendly, and then Hostile.
There are five relation types, each of which have various benefits and penalties.
- 1 Relation Types
- 2 Starting a War
- 3 Relation Table
- 4 Ending a War
- 5 War Forum
- 6 Stances (retired)
Each kingdom will have differing relations amongst one another in the world of Utopia. How these relations evolve (or fall apart) will be dependent on the history, conflict level, and diplomatic abilities of the Monarchs and their Stewards. You can see your relation with any given kingdom by viewing their respective Kingdom page. It is indicated as such:
Their Attitude Towards Us : XX Our Attitude Towards Them : YY
- No effects
This is the default relation between all kingdoms from the start of the Age. Normal relations will resume after a War or Ceasefire ends.
- Also known as a Non Aggression Pact (as seen on the opposing kingdom page and when targeting with spells/ops).
- Prohibits any Attacks, Spells, or Ops between opposing kingdoms
- Annuls Hostile Meter
- Minimum duration of 1 Utopian Month
- Can be enforced for a max of 3 Utopian Years
Both Monarchs and Stewards can send, accept, and break Ceasefires. Once accepted, the ceasefire agreement cannot be broken for the next 24 hours, though the Monarch or Steward can choose to extend this date no further than 3 weeks. While a Ceasefire is in effect, no hostile actions will be allowed between the two kingdoms.
In the event that a Defending Kingdom is unable to withstand the might of an Aggressor Kingdom, they will be given the option to Surrender.
This will enforce an automatic Ceasefire agreement that cannot be broken for 120 hours.
This option is available only if:
- the Aggressor Kingdom has reached Hostile relations with the Defending kingdom
- the Defending Kingdom has not reached Hostile relations with the Aggressor Kingdom
- the Defending Kingdom has not committed any attacks within the past 3 hours (similar to the 2-hour restriction on withdrawing from War); hostile sorcery or thievery ops will not reset this timer
- the Defending Kingdom is out of War Range (85%-117.64%)
An Aggressor Kingdom can enter into a 120 hour unbreakable Ceasefire with a Defending Kingdom if the Aggressor has not made military attacks against the Defending Kingdom for at least 24 ticks, regardless of range.
End-of-War Ceasefire has slightly different effects and conditions.
- Unlocks certain (Unfriendly / Hostile) spells and thievery operations to the opposing Kingdom
When the Hostile Meter reaches 10 hostility points, the aggressor kingdom becomes Unfriendly towards the opposing Kingdom. If the meter decays below this limit, Normal relations are resumed.
Unfriendly relations permit the use of more complex (and damaging) operations and spells to the enemy kingdom.
- +10% Combat Gains
- Increases the Networth Range of the Conquest Attack
- Mana & Stealth costs for offensive spells/ops reduced to 2%
When the Hostile Meter reaches 25 hostility points, the aggressor kingdom becomes Hostile towards the opposing kingdom. If the meter decays below this limit, Unfriendly relations are resumed.
The Hostile Meter
Each attack generates hostility points. Traditional Marches, Conquests, Plunders, Massacres and Razes generate 3 points whereas Ambushes generate 1.5 points. Bounces generate up to 1.875 points. Sending a Dragon will move the Hostile meter by 18 points. Offensive magic and thievery operations move the Hostile Meter as well.
- Unfriendly is achieved at 10 points and Hostile is achieved at 25 points.
- To declare War, the declaring kingdom must be at least Unfriendly with the kingdom that is being declared on, and the kingdom being declared on must be Hostile towards the declaring kingdom.
- If both kingdoms reach Hostile relations, the kingdom with fewer meter points can declare war. When 75 points are reached by both kingdoms, either one can declare.
- The Hostile Meter is capped at 225 points.
War begins when a kingdom declares war on a Hostile kingdom OR if the maximum hostility level is reached by both kingdoms.
In order to declare war, each kingdom must:
- have received attacks from at least three unique provinces on either side (except if Monarch/Stewards grant Hostile Operations)
- be in range (more than 85% and less than 117.64% of its Networth or Land)
- be at least Unfriendly with the opposing kingdom, AND that kingdom Hostile with your kingdom; in instances where both kingdoms are Hostile, the kingdom with fewer meter points will receive the "button" and be able to declare.
Wars last a minimum of 2 Utopian Months (48 hours) after declaration.
A kingdom can only war one kingdom at a time.
Honor and land gains are higher in war than out of war.
- War overrides relations with all other kingdoms. Upon leaving war, Normal relations will resume. While in war, there is a decay of two hostility points per Utopian Month or 1/6th of the meter, whichever is greater.
- Mana & Stealth costs for offensive spells/ops reduced to 2%
- Unlocks Propaganda thievery operation
- Unlocks Amnesia spell
- The Paradise Spell cannot be cast
- 500% Exploration Costs
After 12 Hours
- -25% Attack Time
After 24 Hours
- -25% Military Losses
- -25% Military Training Time
- -75% Gains and Effectiveness for operations to and from other Kingdoms (this fades in from war start)
Any informal or formal agreements made between kingdoms in regards to warring must abide by the Code of Conduct. Violations may cause the war to be deemed a Fake War. Fake Wars are subject to actions by the game operators. As the determination for a Fake War is made on a case-by-case basis by the game operators, the exact punishment may vary.
Ways a war can be faked (Please note, this is just an idea and not a comprehensive list):
- Requesting specific people be targeted by opposing kingdom or accepting to action a request from the opposing monarch.
- Non-aggression pact during war of any duration and at any time.
- Attempts to manipulate war-win rankings using friends to initiate multiple wars.
- Agreement to trading acres for a war win.
- "Ending" a war before minimum war duration.
Punishments may include (Again, not a comprehensive list):
- Removal from the End of Age rankings for both kingdoms.
- Deletion and temporary ban of players making the agreement.
- Removal of war wins.
- Monarchs of both kingdoms deleted.
- Removal of any gains of the fake war from all kingdom members (even if they were unaware of the fake war).
Starting a War
Once the Hostile relation status has been reached by one kingdom, the Monarch of the least hostile Kingdom will receive the option to Declare War as long as their own relations with that Kingdom are at a minimum of Unfriendly. This "War Button" appears on the Relations Page under the War tab. If both kingdoms have reached Hostile relations status, the kingdom with fewer points will have a "declare war" button. Once the button is pressed certain effects are immediately applied; others slowly take effect, rising to their maximum potential over a 24 hour period.
In addition to starting a war via raising the Hostile Meter, a Monarch also has the option to send a War Proposal to another kingdom within warring range (regardless of relations). This invitation expires at the end of the tick (Utopian Day) and, once accepted, will begin war instantly. If you are currently in a ceasefire with the kingdom you wish to propose a war with, you must first cancel that in order to be able to propose a war.
To opposing Kingdom :
After 12 Hours (12 Utopian Days)
After 24 Hours (1 Utopian Month)
Ending a War
Only the Kingdom's Monarch (or Steward) is able to end a war. This is accomplished in one of two ways: Mutual Peace or Withdrawal. Either choice results in an end-of-war ceasefire.
This option requires consent by both parties and simply settles the war with no winner. This is an excellent option when both kingdoms simply lose interest in the war or find it more beneficial to simply move on.
Once the minimum time limit is reached, either kingdom can withdraw from war.
War will end automatically (your opponent will automatically withdraw) if your opponent's kingdom networth drops to 50% of yours. This will only occur after a minimum of 5 days.
Withdrawals can only occur if the withdrawing kingdom has not committed any attacks within the past two Utopian Days. Withdrawing rewards the opposing kingdom with a war win that will show on their kingdom page.
A kingdom is victorious when its opponent withdraws from war. This is also called surrendering. A kingdom can only withdraw if it makes no attacks for two consecutive ticks. It can then withdraw on the third tick. Dragons, aid, thievery operations and magic spells do not affect a kingdom's ability to withdraw.
War will also end automatically when a kingdom's networth drops to 50% of its opponent's networth. This will cause the smaller kingdom to automatically withdraw and can only occur after a minimum of 5 days.
After war, the winning kingdom receives the following benefits:
* 3 times your median provinces acres in spec credits * Free building credits to the total of 150% of median province total land at the end of the war * Land and honor bonus (minimum 2500 acres) * Science books bonus equal to 48 ticks of production * A provision of additional land to each province's individual explore pool * Recognition on kingdom page based on the number of War Win points achieved * Each additional 'tier' achieved will increase War Win bonus by 10% (capped at 50% larger than baseline bonus)
The losing kingdom receives the following benefit:
* Free building credits to the total of 100% of median province total land at the end of the war * A provision of additional land to each province's individual explore pool
After a war ends, neither kingdom may have any relations for an Utopian Month and are automatically placed in a 12 hour end-of-war ceasefire. During the ceasefire both kingdoms remain in war relations, thus retaining the protection benefits while rebuilding. After 12 hours, the kingdoms have the choice either to end the ceasefire or to wait up to an additional 84 hours. This choice is independent of the other kingdom.
During this ceasefire, both sides benefit from:
* All land currently out with armies at war end returns home immediately * Instant population growth of 20% of your max pop if you are under 50% of your max pop * +1000% Birthrate (minimum 500) for the first 36 hours only * Explore penalty reduced to 250% for provinces below kingdom median (including incoming explored acres) * Draft cost reduced by 50% * Any provinces affected by plague will have it removed instantly * Dragons that have already begun will be automatically canceled upon entering EoWCF * All credits (Specialist/Build) will be lost upon exit of End of War Ceasefire
Shortly after declaring war, a temporary Forum is created. This is known as the War Forum.
In the War Forum provinces from either kingdom can interact by starting new threads or posting in existing ones. Provinces are expected to interact respectfully. Any offending material can be removed by either kingdom's Monarch or Steward.
|« Previous: Politics||Next: Preferences »|
|The Utopia Guide|
|Introduction||Getting Started with Utopia • Creating a province • Race & Personality|
|The Menus||Throne • Kingdom • News • Explore • Growth • Science • Military • Mystics • Thievery • War Room • Aid • Dragon • Ritual • Mail & Forums • Politics • Relations • Rankings • Preferences|
|Advanced||MunkBot • Invitations • Reservations • Utopia • Province • World of Legends|